Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I see we failed World Cultures

One theme I've seen in the casserole book, that I will surely revisit later, is what I'm going to call Ethnic Dysphoria. It's when a recipe purports to be one thing, but has ingredients that are either not authentic or downright wrong. Like this one:

1/4 c. butter or margarine
1/4 c. flour
2.5 c. milk
1/2 c. sour cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 12-oz package elbow macaroni
1 carton cottage cheese
2 tsp. chopped parsley
1 tsp. oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pkg. sliced mozzarella cheese
1/4 c grated Italian cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs

Using these ingredients, I want you to tell me the country of origin from which this dish supposedly hails.

4 comments:

  1. Italy-ish? Also I am assuming that cotton cheese is cottage cheese... maybe I shouldn't assume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks for catching that. Will fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is "Italian cheese?" Can that be found next to the "Swiss cheese?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, good question. I have no idea what that means. Can't be mozzarella, that's already in there. Parmesan? Gorgonzola? Romano? Ricotta? Mascarpone? Provolone? Maybe this could even branch out to Sardinia, and they mean that Sardinian worm cheese?

    ReplyDelete