Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What is it with you people and boiled eggs?

I'm going to do some research into this, because I'm truly baffled. Apparently, boiled eggs were a staple in late-60s/early-70s dishes. I've never thought of boiled eggs being all that versatile; perhaps because I find them absolutely vile. However, had I been cooking, or, well, ALIVE in 1971, I would have been a victim of Boiled Egg Peer Pressure. "C'mon, Sally, everyone's doing it."

One of the more stomach-churning examples I found was the following recipe:

Crunchy Baked Eggs Au Gratin
3 tbsp shortening (Good, it's going to be a healthy recipe.)
1/4 c. flour
1/8 tsp paprika (Paprika was also very popular then, but only in the tiniest of tiny doses.)
1 tsp salt
2 c. milk
2 tbsp chopped green pepper (Whoa, don't go crazy there!)
2 tsp Angostura bitters (Wait, what?)
1/2 c grated American cheese
3 cups toasted bread cubes (Thank heavens, all that paprika and green pepper were setting my gizzard ablaze.)
6 hard-cooked eggs, halved

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the shortening in a saucepan and stir in the flour, paprika, and salt. Stir in milk gradually and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick. (Are there two more magical words in the English language than "smooth" and "thick?" I think not!) Add the green pepper, Angostura bitters, and cheese, and stir until cheese is melted. Fold in 2 cups bread cubes. Arrange eggs in a well-greased 1.5-quart casserole (more grease! woo hoo! although I'm disappointed that it wasn't mentioned in the ingredients; what if I didn't plan ahead and I run out of shortening?) and pour cheese sauce over eggs. Top with remaining bread cubes. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. 6 servings.

6 servings? Are you kidding me? I'd eat the whole thing in one sitting. Nom nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment